Saturday, April 2, 2011

Best Friends Bracelets


Somehow, I managed to convince 3 guys that the 'bracelets gratis' that were given to us on the beach were our new and super cool 'Best Friends Bracelets'. Oh yea, we're rockin' our Colombian national colors down the street, at the club, on the beach and we aren't afraid to tell anyone :)

Alright, I'm finished with my goon-y rant!

On Saturday, we each slowly recovered from the night before. Surprisingly enough, the yummy deliciousness of Aguardiente (Colombians henessy-esque liquor) didn't keep me down! Mike and I woke up before the others, took a stroll through the city. The city is very relaxed, so it was easy to just mozey along at our rabbit speed pace! We saw some interesting things, like a shopt hat sold only beds and motorcycles, and a pastry shop that sold wedding cakes decorated like the 'myrtle beach-high school-spring break' t-shirts we used to buy that were air brushed in neon colors. When we got back to the hostel, I was starving.. for lunch, at 11AM... for some reason everyone found that odd, like I should be eating breakfast food when it is practically noon. I'm pretty sure the rooster crows at sunrise.. you eat breakfast, when the sun is practically on top of the sky.. you eat lunch, when the sun is about to set you eat dinner... that's how I was raised. Weirdos, anyways, no one was hungry but Luke came with me and refused to let me eat at a skanky looking restaurant that I thought looked absolutely delicious and CHEAP, and we instead went to the beach and I had some fried chicken while he had a yummy fresh juice. While we were there, an elderly man came to our table to try to sell us incense.. we refused, and he kept staring at my plate.. we figured out, that he wanted my leftovers (how he knew I was finished eating, I have no idea), but I pushed the plate over to him and he whipped out this little plastic bag and scraped the food into it. He was very grateful and went on his merry way. I don't know why this didn't really surprise me, but Luke was pretty surprised by it. I thought the man looked quite healthy and knew the cheapest way to get some lunch while working. It was a bit upsetting though to think about the poverty that exists in much of Colombia.


Henry, from Bogota, moved into our hostel and we all made our merry way to Playa Grande in Taganga. We first took a taxi to Taganga, where we road a little boat to Playa Grande. This beach was awesome, there was a party boat hanging out in the water jamming salsa and reggaeton, beach chairs set up under the shade of massive trees, a man selling ice cream IN the ocean (see pictures.. his cart floated in the water, and when he was finished 'selling' ice cream to everyone swimming without wet money on them.. he just wheeled it back onto the beach.. crazy), super chilly water and good times! Luke and I made a boob sand castle (cones were the easiest shape to build without the proper sand castle building tools). The boys ate yummy fish while listening to some guys play the sax and guitar. And there was also an awkward 'herbal escence-like' photo shoot that happened while Luke and Sean poured water on each other.. ANYWAYS!

We wound up back at Santa Marta to eat, 'Coloxican'.. Colombia's form of Mexican.. I wasn't impressed (TEX MEX I MISS YOU!), overly priced and no spice.. not everything nice!

We got our party clothes on and went over to pre-game to some salsa & rum at Jorge's in El Rodadero. The dancing scene is quite nonexistent on that side of town, so BACK to Santa Marta we went. Our first stop was the same as the night before, the park outside of it was FILLED with young people socializing and enjoying the outdoors. While we were waiting for the second taxi to arrive, Henry somehow made a Colombian friend that was messed up on some sort of drug and showing him differnet ways to kill someone using your hands. Well.. that was awkward, but all we could do was sit there and stare.

We got there in time for an hour of dancing and drinking, and left to go somewhere NEW and AWESOME! It was called 'El Puerto'.. dun dun dun-duuuuun.. and it was amazing! We got to dance and get sweaty to some reggaeton under the stars! <3 The music was great, atmosphere was bangin.. I'm just not sure how we figured out how to walk home from there!

Colombian people are so vibrant, they have this aura that just can't be unshaken!



Well... except this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment